WordPress is a free, open-source website creation platform. On a more technical level, WordPress is a content management system (CMS) written in PHP that uses a MySQL database. In non-geek speak, WordPress is the easiest and most powerful blogging and website builder in existence today.
WordPress is an excellent website platform for a variety of websites. From blogging to e-commerce to business and portfolio websites, WordPress is a versatile CMS. Designed with usability and flexibility in mind, WordPress is a great solution for both large and small websites.
Content Management System (CMS)
can be defined as a tool or software program containing a set of interrelated programs used for creating and managing different digital or online content.
Example. CMS software is WordPress,
A content management system is composed of two major components.
1.A content management application (CMA) is a graphical user interface that allows its users to create, delete, modify, and publish content even without the knowledge of HTML or other programming languages that are necessary to create web pages.
2.A content delivery application (CDA) is responsible for the back-end services. It manages as well as delivers content after framed in the CMA.
- As a website building platform and CMS, WordPress boasts an impressive feature set. Here are just a few of the many features of WordPress.
- SEO – Search Engine Optimization (SEO) begins at a technical level and WordPress delivers an exceptional code base for SEO. SEO allows your website’s content to be found via common search engines such as Google or Bing. Check out these free WordPress SEO training videos to learn more.
- Speed – WordPress is a lean website framework that is constantly striving to remove code “bloat” that slows down the loading speed of a website.
- Mobile-friendly – Most WordPress themes are now mobile-friendly or responsive out-of-the-box.
- Media file library – WordPress includes a built-in media library where you can upload and embed media files such as images or videos into your pages or posts. You can even perform basic edits to your images within WordPress.
- Easy-to-use user interface – WordPress is very easy to use with no complicated settings. If you can use a WordPress processor, you can use WordPress. WordPress also has a focus on accessibility.
- Custom menus – WordPress makes it easy to create navigation menus with links to your pages or custom links.
- Built-in blog – Adding a blog to your website is as simple as publishing a post.
Advantage of WordPress
- WordPress is free and an open-source platform under the GNU General Public License (GPL).
Design themes customization in WordPress is straightforward.
- It allows you to manage users with different roles and permissions.
WordPress media management is quick and easy to use.
- WordPress provides WYSIWYG editor to manage your text content, which is very useful for manipulating the layout of the document.